Tuesday

PACE MAGAZINE

Pace, Pace, Pace........I certainly have alot to say about this magazine but I'll be diplomatic about it.

I'm glad the new issue is out and about and I'm curious to hear how people feel about this particular issue so far. I can say this though, that from the feedback I've heard, not too many folks are so hot about the political spectrum the magazine decided to focus on. Yes its true that when it started off, it did so without any specific purpose, but alot of the folks I spoke too were glad to see an Urban magazine run by Somaliis. Some people sincerely believe that the magazine lost most of its credibility as soon as it got political on the masses b/c not many people know or even give a toss about the politics of Somalia/Somaliland/Puntland etc...let alone the political players, shakers and movers detailed in some of the articles.

Keep in mind though that I respect its concept, I respect all the changes its gone through and alot of the individuals involved in it are actually very talented, I just ask one question: Where did it all go wrong? More people now look at the pictures and don't bother to read the articles. Couple of the articles have already been posted in better known Somali websites, though remain unamed, featured a number of plaigarised writings.

SIDE NOTE I'm not trying to insinuate that they're plaigarised,just comparing the audiences (of PACE and of the other websites) but getting to the main question I'd like to ask those in charge, who exactly is the magazine catering to? Adults don't bother to read it because they feel that its aimed at young people and frankly they don't particularly care to read on vague newsstyle articles and much rather read quick blurbs on current news of Somalia/Somaliland. Young individuals lost interest in it (except for the photos) because most do not relate to the subject matter. (READ POST: THE GREAT DIVIDE)

I would like to add that the magazine itself is insightful, the articles are somewhat readable, and at times, it does capture the overall themes of the each issue. What I wish is to see the magazine discuss realistic issues, those more close to home (our own homes wherever we might be outside of the motherland) and more photo essay style articles and significantly more creative writing.

Our community houses an ocean size pool of talented writers, poets, debaters, photographers, and just plain ol' opinionists! We are all spread out all over this beautiful world and imagine the many different perspectives we have? A Somali in Atlanta and one living in Holland would sure be coming from two different worlds. I would like my fellow bloggers to step up and present a piece or two. I'm pretty sure if the host of this show was to let go of the mic long enough for someone else to speak, it would be a whole different story all together............

2 Comments:

Blogger SleepDepraved said...

I don't particularly read the magazine but that is mainly due to the fact that I have decided to not read any news. If any I probably watch some BBC or read the New Yorker/Time/Newsweek. The one time I read Pace I was like Ok.....no biggie. I don't even recall what it was I read.

On the other hand I do believe the author has contacted some bloggers to contribute to the magazine. Hopefully you should see some of the changes you want.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Leyla said...

I do agree that it needs to be reworked and put back into the track that it started out with, being an urban magazine for youth...I do feel that there is a disconnect because of the politics which are really never ending....it needs colour in showcasing specifically youth....but then just like ourselves the magazine is trying to find who it wants to be through trail n error, it has been through many changes and I'm sure it will continue to change but there needs to be more dynamics to it...maybe have all the elements it tried to capture: the struggling artist, fashion, poetry, photography, politics, and everything in between...truly catering to everyone.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home