Sunday

Somali youth, a complete and UTTER failure. PERIOD.

I haven't posted anything for the past few weeks but only because I have gone through so many incidents that left me wondering about our own people.

I don't want to generalize, and I sure as hell don't want to trash our community but as more time passes, I realize how impossible it is to wipe out ignorance from the Somali community. No matter how hard we try as individuals, I think that our community is doomed as a group. Maybe you, and I individually, we can accomplish our own personal goals throughout our lives, but to connect with the rest of the community for the sake of our future, its damn near impossible.

I'm saying this after attending the 3rd Annual Somali Youth Conference from hell which took place yesterday in Ottawa. While there are children across the globe that are absolutely content with the two grains of rice a day plus rocks as a form of entertainment, we have here the most spoiled, UNDISCIPLINED, ignorant, unintelligent kids in our city with the lowest attention spans ever recorded.

I've forever been labeled as the eternal optimist, looking at life with a very rosy pair of glasses, but last night, my glasses were definately covered in soot, emitted from the essence of the Somali Youth.

Its funny, because inshallah someday I will become a teacher and after last night, my mother asked me "So......do you still want to be a teacher?"

My answer to that was HELL YES. The reason why I want to be a teacher is exactly this: learning and education, as cliche as it sounds, is the strongest weapon against many obstacles we face on a daily basis. The only difference is that, in my classroom, so help me ALLAH, I will be CONISISTENT which is something seriously lacking in our households.

Its like the parents dropped off their kids for babysitting service from 10am-6pm and all THREE of us had to handle over a hundred rude and abnoxious badasses.

All I can say is, thank GOD there was no media. I hated everything about this conference except for Professor Togane (of Montreal) who spoke with passion about being a Somali-Canadian. Having lived in North America for just over 40 years, the man knows alot on this topic.

You would think the kids would learn from the theme of night: Being a Somali-Canadian.

Hell nah, cuz they were busy tying their hijab's a little higher around their buns, making sure their gold belts were exactly the same shade of gold on their earrings and purse, or playing with their cell phones and talking back to adults when told to be quiet.

Where are the parents? ..................................Booking it away from the venue to get away from their dumbass kids for 8 hours.

Shame on them for not disciplining their children. Shame on every single kid that didn't benefit from this event.

Shame on our people for focusing on INSIGNIFICANT matters and overlooking the issues close to home.

Dang.

Next: My beef with condescending family members who talk down to you about religion. Get off your high horses people.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So whats so bad that was so bad??

And who cares anyway, I don't understand people like you, you want everyone to see the world the way you do... face the facts, some of us just wanna live our lifes and not worry about where the f' the world is gonna end up... after all, no matter where the world ends up, everyone will end up dead. stop wasting your time trying to change shit and focus on enjoying YOUR life instead of ranting and stress'n bout "the somali community" or any of that shit.

11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home